This simple beverage might be a pre-breakfast health boost
For all those who cannot even think about starting the day without a cup of steaming hot coffee, here is an alternative suggestion drawn from “Juicing Recipes From Fitlife,” by TV ‘s Drew Canole. I will say only that my quite healthy 90-year-old mother, who has never read the book or watch Canole’s show, has been drinking boiling water with lemon for as long as I’ve known her.
According to Canole: “When I wake up every morning, the first thing I drink is warm water and lemon (to kick-start my digestive system), and before I sleep I do the same thing. Drinking warm water and lemon has many benefits, and at the same time it makes me feel hydrated.”
The whole thing couldn’t be simpler:
½ fresh lemon
1 cup warm water
Instructions: Juice ½ lemon (with peel if organic) and add it to 1 cup warm water.
Canole gives seven reasons why this might be a good way to start your day:
1. Immune booster: Vitamin C is probably one of the easiest and fastest ways to boost your immune system. Lemons are packed with vitamin C. Vitamin C also helps neutralize free radicals that are associated with aging and disease. Vitamin C is great for the skin as well. It helps decrease blemishes and acne. Since lemons are high in vitamins, they help push toxins and unwanted minerals and other substances out from the body. Lemons are also high in potassium which is important because it helps regulate blood pressure and nerve function.
2. PH balance: Drinking warm water and lemon helps you maintain an alkaline state. Even though lemon juice is acidic, it doesn’t create acidity in your body. It’s actually one of the most alkaline foods.
3. Liver function: Lemon juice strengthens liver enzymes, regulates carbohydrate levels and increases the production of enzymes. Warm water with lemon is a great liver detoxifier.
4. Blood vessels: Lemons contain vitamin P (bioflavinoids).
5. Cleansing, and an aid in digestion: Like most fresh vegetable juices, lemon contain pectin fiber, a type of water soluble fiber that helps reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.
6. Natural diuretic: This drink helps eliminate toxins and other harmful substances from the body, leaving it in an alkaline state.
7. Hydration of lymph system: This juice supports the immune system by hydrating and replacing fluids lost by your body